Delicious Chicken Lahori Karahi; is a type of thick, circular, and deep cooking-pot that originated in the subcontinent also known as wok in english. This karahi is used to cook one of the most favorite dish of Pakistan: Karahi. A blend of meat (lamb,goat,chicken), tomatoes, onions, green chilies, ginger, garlic and spices cooked on high heat.
There are different types of Karahi which are made all over Pakistan with every province or city with its own variation. Some times full of spices while some are made with less spices. I already shared recipes of karahi in my website. This page will tell you how to make Lahori Karahi. I made it with chicken but you can make it with any meat you like. It can be served with naan or chapati.
Lahori Chicken Karahi is one of the most popular and well known Pakistani food recipe and a variation of Karahi with a Lahori or Punjabi touch. Lahori Karahi, as mentioned above, can be made with any type of meat but I have made it with Chicken. Just for information if you are making it in mutton that usually a lamb of small size and young age is preferred because it provides more flavor to the dish and its meat is much more tender and healthy.
Every Karahi variation is known for its spicy and traditional taste but nothing can compete with this delicious Chicken Lahori Karahi. This scrumptious cuisine is prepared with chicken chunks instead of usual boneless meat. It’s cooked in essential spices like, cumin, turmeric and red chili which give it its strong aroma and spicy taste. You can also download or print this recipe from KookingMania.com
Chicken Lahori Karahi
- 1 kg Chicken with bones
- 5 Tomato Medium size
- 200 gram Yogurt
- 100 gram Fresh Cream
- 1 cup Ghee/Oil
- 1½ tbsp Garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Chili flakes
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin (Zeera) Powder
- 1 tbsp Dry Coriander Powder
- ½ tbsp Whole Spices Powder
- ½ tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Ginger Bars
- 5-6 Green Chili Slices Fresh
- ½ cup Water
- Take a wok. Add ½cup water, garlic paste, salt and turmeric powder. When it is boiled then add chicken in it and then mix.
- When water start drying, cut the tomatoes in half and add in the wok and then cover it for 5-6 minutes.
- After 5-6 minutes uncover the lid and mix the tomatoes with the chicken. Add yogurt ,cream and oil in it and then after mixing again cover the lid for another 5-6 minutes.
- Uncover the lid and add all the dry spices in it and mix while adding. When ghee starts to separate than garnish it with Ginger and chilies.
- Your Chicken Lahori Karahi is ready. Serve hot with naan or chapati.
- You can also make this dish in other utensils than wok.
- You can also make Mutton and Beef Karahi in the same way.
- You can use butter to enhance the taste of this Karahi.
Chicken Lahori Karahi step-by-step
Take a wok. Add ½cup water, garlic paste, salt and turmeric powder.
When it is boiled then add chicken in it and then mix.
When water start drying, cut the tomatoes in half and then add in the wok.
Cover it for 5-6 minutes.
After 5-6 minutes uncover the lid and mix the tomatoes with the chicken and then add oil in it.
Add Yogurt and Cream in it and after mixing, again cover the lid for another 5-6 minutes.
Uncover the lid and add all the dry spices in it and mix while adding.
When ghee starts to separate then garnish it with Ginger and chilies.