User Review( vote)
Yet another recipe for iftar or otherwise. Dahi Baray recipe is so yummy and mouthwatering that you should better control yourself before Iftar if you are making it. It is a popular street snack that is served all across the Pakistan particularly in the great historical and traditional city of Lahore. It is served throughout the year especially in Ramadan. It is a spicy and a pure desi delight for a desi taste. It is a light, cool and delicious snack, perfect for summer-time and during the Holy month of Ramadan.
Dahi Vada or Dahi Bara Recipe, also known as Dahi Bhallay in Punjabi, Dahi vada in Hindi and Doi Bora in Bengali is a type of chaat. Its name is based on its ingredients bhallay from phulki and dahi from yogurt. Phulki are first deep fried in the oil, then taken out and stored in water for making soft and then soaked in beaten yogurt. The dish is usually topped with coriander, ground black pepper, chili powder and chaat masala which makes the taste superb. Imly ki chutney and green chutney brings it more taste.
Dahi Bhallay is a very popular recipe in the whole region of South Asia especially in the subcontinent. In Pakistan, India and Bangladesh, dahi bhallay recipe is eaten as an evening snack or in Iftar or sometime as side dish in several traditional festivals. Though, it is easily available in the market, but most of people like to get it prepared at home for hygienic values. Due to Muslims population in the region this snack is eaten in iftar in the month of Ramadan-ul-Mubarak.
- 1 cup Daal mash soaked, ground
- 1 cup Daal moong soaked, ground
- ½ kg Yogurt
- 2 inch Ginger
- 3 Green Chili
- 2 tbsp White cumin
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- Oil for frying
- Wash and soak the lentils (daal) for 2-3 hours. Then chop the lentils with salt, ginger, green chilies, cumin and baking soda in a chopper. You can add little water to it if difficult to chop.
- Take cooking oil in a deep pan for frying and place it on high flame to become hot.
- For checking purpose, put a small piece of mixture in oil. If it come to the surface of oil at once then oil is ready to fry.
- Take the mixture in a spoon and then pour it into the oil for frying. This will give it a round shape.
- When reddish brown take out from the oil and put into a bowl full of fresh water. After 5-10 minutes or when feel soft and fluffy, exclude from water, press gently and place it in a dish and let it cold.
- Pour beaten yogurt, imli ki chutney, green chutney and sprinkle chaat masala. Serve cold.
- You can place the dish in fridge before serving because a little bit cold dahi bhallay tastes great.
- You can use different lentils for making this dish but I prefer the mentioned one.
- You can also add chopped salad ingredients like cucumber, carrots, onions and cabbage when garnishing.
- This is also a best dish for presenting before a guest.
Flavorsome Dahi Bhallay step-by-step
Take the lentils, clean and wash
Soak the lentils (daal) for 3 hours.
Add the lentils with salt, ginger, green chilies, cumin and baking soda in a chopper.
Chop them to make a mixture.
Add water to it to make a paste.
Take the mixture in a spoon and then pour it into the oil for frying. This will give it a round shape.
When reddish brown take out from the oil and put it into a bowl full of fresh water.
When soft and fluffy press gently to exclude water and then dish out and let it cold.
Pour beaten yogurt
Imli ki chutney, green chutney and sprinkle chaat masala. Serve cold.